Anupam Roy Fans

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Anupam Roy: The Person I Cherish


My blog has always talked about how much I admire Anupam Roy and his music. His creations reached me at a time I needed it the most, and have stayed with me for the many years and moments I've really needed something to hold on to...

My appreciation and respect, and of course love, grew tremendously when I met him for the first time. Not to mention the fact that I hardly spoke to him then, so tongue tied was I. I remember the day and how much it affected me and continues to do so.

That apart, I will truly say I am lucky to have met him.....

His music has touched my life in more ways than one. I began my trips back to Calcutta during the last few years when I needed a connect to my roots, let's just say we all go through that phase, and though I'd always been sure that I would be the last person to head to Calcutta, it seems times they are a changing. More than once I've shared this premonition with people who know me that,
somehow, and in a very weird not-able-to-describe kind of way, my last will be in Kolkata, and that will be the city where I will go to rest.

So coming back from that heavy weight dose to the more happy and uplifting topic of Anupam Roy and his music, the first time I met him was so intensely tugging for me, including watching that performance that felt as if it was the only place I wanted to be for the rest of my life, I knew I would be going back for more...or should I say coming back for more...and I did go back to just see him on stage and come back....

I have started knowing and understanding Calcutta through Anupam Roy's music and that's a fact. Of course I didn't understand 95% of his lyrics when I first started listening to his creations. They were only music to my ears without getting into the details of what he was saying..just his music and his beats and his voice and rhythm was how I was connecting to the whole experience. But as I got addicted to it and started listening to his songs over and over and over again, I started peeling off those layers that are there in abundance in all his songs.

He inspired in me an interest for Calcutta that was never there and that no one ever did, or probably could evoke.

Today it's not just about the music but also the person that I truly admire and cherish. So much wonderful creation cannot come of someone who doesn't somewhere have a good bone inside him...Anupam Roy has probably way more than just a good bone....

What you are is what you become, and this wonderful person is as much a loveable and wonderful person off the camera as he is on it....

- Debolina Raja Gupta

3 comments:

  1. This article somehow touched me.. i had started listening bengali songs with Anupam's one Amake Amar Moto Thakte Dao.. I am Delhi based girl and was never that attached to Kolkata where the rest of my family lives.. Yaah.. After listening him some interest grew in me to know bengal more, to learn bangla well.. And in past 2 years i am just proud to be in bengali...!! In 2012 i guess i didn't even knew a single tollywood actor or singer but now everyone call me TOOLYWOOD KA KEERA and an ANUPAM LOVER... feels good now.. and these are only because of The Man And His Music-ANUPAM ROY...really love and admire him...
    and Ooops... comment ta beshi boro hoye gelo na... sorry Debolina jodi tumi amar story pore bore hoye giye thaako.. I am really feeling happy after reading this article.. Cheers....! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anisha...you know what...you nailed it..every bit of how his music changed me too :) Me too born and brought up in Delhi and he is in fact the first Bengali musician I listened to....and ever since then I haven't stopped listening and learning Bengali just to understand his songs! Whoa....awesome na what he can do! And hey, what you wrote came direct dil se, so of course I loved reading it too.....

      Delete
    2. Yes.... its always dil se....! :)

      Delete